Monday, August 16, 2010

Freelancing Fun: A Styling Job Comes My Way!

Sometimes, you have to give up shopping in order to save up to make your dreams happen. But, sometimes, the stars smile on you, and you actually get to shop...for a job! Sure, the clothes are for models, not you, but never mind that, it's still clothes and fashion and prettiness! Not to mention, fiscally responsible.

Really, if someone had said to me when I was 8 and "styling" my Barbies, you know, you can grow up and play dress up with real-life dolls and it's considered work, I would have said, you shut your mouth (probably, especially, given the odd outfits I'm sure Barbie was dressed in. Neon roller skates with princess dresses anyone?). It's always such a fun treat that I still get to do this from time to time.

It's been quite awhile since I've done any styling, but I'm really excited to get back into the game with a very talented photographer out of New York , Sara Forrest. We got together and did a shoot with a trio of dancers from the Kansas City Ballet and it turned out really lovely - not to mention, it was such a treat to be able to watch ballerinas twinkle their toes up close!

This time around, she's contacted me for a sunset/sunrise shoot outside of Lawrence, and the look is going to be pulled from the safari / global trend a bit, bohemian, light and airy - khakis, pale blues, oranges, and browns. I'm also thinking a little sun-bleached. And, since I've been really loving the neutral/khaki look, I might be pulling a few pieces from my own closet. The test is Saturday, so I've got to really get on my lookbook! Here's a little of what I'm thinking in these preliminary stages:
Leaning heavily on that Philip Lim blouse with Current/Elliot trousers in Look #4, in this collection of looks from local boutique, Standard Style.
From J.Crew, a perennial favorite.
Also, from J.Crew. Softness plus military styling.

Love the DVF ensemble in photo #1, in this collection of looks, also from Standard Style. Of course, always, always, always love DVF.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers