Thursday, September 2, 2010

Urban Mining in KC

Does shopping for my apartment count as shopping? No, no, I know the answer to that. But I still thought I'd share some vintage market bliss.

A few months back, I purchased a Groupon for Urban Mining, a "basement business in the historic Meyer Building on Main Street," which specializes in "99% recycled furniture and decor for home, garden, soul at delightful prices...mak[ing] it fun to be green and beautiful!"

Word.

And, finally, last month, I found the chance to peruse Urban Mining on a sunny Saturday morning and came out with some great finds. See, they're only open one weekend - the first weekend - out of the month, which they do, they say, in order to keep their prices low and variety high. Here's what I came home with (thank you pre-shopping-ban Groupon!):

I thought this was a bargain: functional clock, chalkboard for kitchen notes, and lots of shelves and storage inside! I haven't hung it up yet, but, I'm excited about it.
So, it's only part of a typewriter. But, as a writer, even one who's only ever known computers, typewriters fascinate me - they're so very His Girl Friday and passionate, furious typing, so I've always wanted to have a collection. This will make a perfect photo holder, and sit on my desk as a reminder of what I want, and love to do.
Ah. Simple, and hung by my door to touch for luck.

Isn't this the most gorgeous vintage apron? Pockets + sheer, floral prettiness = my new dress apron for all the dinner parties I'll be having in my little apartment!
I didn't walk out with any major pieces, that's something I neither have the room nor the budget for. But between the beautiful dishes, shelves, pieces of pop culture history, and just, well, charm, I could probably never leave this place empty-handed.

This month, they're welcoming fall with open arms (okay, I am too) with autumnal colors, Halloween decorations (ooooh), back-to-school fun, and vintage and mid-century charming finds. They're also featuring author Amy Barickman, who will be there to sign her new book, Vintage Notions: An Inspirational Guide to Needlework, Cooking, Sewing, Fashion and Fun on Friday from 1-4 pm.

Urban Mining Homewares will be open Friday and Saturady 9 am to 6 pm (welcoming stragglers 'til 7 on Friday) and Sunday, from noon to 5 pm. Go to Urban Mining Homewares for more details and directions and trust me, you don't want to miss this! I found it nearly impossible to leave last month, even after I had already purchased and packed up the car.


(P.S. There's this antique key cabinet by the front desk, it's gorgeous, and um, don't buy it - I'm counting on that beauty staying there until I return from Paris).

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you found some fun items. However, you need to turn that horseshoe right side up (that is, the open end on top as in a "U") to ensure good luck. At least that's what Grandpa Bass always said!

    ReplyDelete

Followers