Monday, August 31, 2009

You're So Vain (more tales of singledom)

So week or so ago, I told a tale of how, while out one night, I was prevented from quenching my thirst and cornered into polite conversation for an extended period of time (S-s-single in the City). And I touched on how so often, being hit on - especially if done improperly - is more annoyance than flattery or interest.

Well this weekend, some guy did right by me. And he may not have even really been hitting on me, who knows, but I thought what he did was perfect.

I was out and about with a large group of friends and midway through the night, a young man came up to me to say one thing: "I just wanted to tell you that you are very beautiful." I smiled and thanked him and, there are few girls out there who don't like to hear that, especially when done well. Then he introduced himself, said it was a pleasure to meet me, repeated his compliment, and went back to sit down with his friends.

Perfect.

He's done the legwork and left it up to me, all without seeming like a jerk or a cad. And besides that, it could also be taken as simply an innocent compliment and left at that. Absolutely ideal.

On a side note, I thought I'd mention that I was wearing a fresh flower in my hair, as I've been doing a lot recently - my florist does happy hour flowers! - and my florist was just telling me recently how clever she thinks it is, how women don't wear fresh flowers enough, and how simple, sexy, and romantic she thinks it is. She said this too: no matter what you look like, adorn yourself with a flower, and all eyes will be on you. I gotta think now, well, she just may be right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers